Virtual Speed Recruiting
The past 24 months have not been the friendliest to many in the professional world. Due to the Pandemic, and this recession ahead of us, I’ve witnessed many people going from having their job security suddenly stripped away from them. Also, jobs have been increasingly harder to attain. As a result, this has left me unsettled about my standing in the future and how long these life-changing events will continue to blindside us.
While pondering, I started exploring ways I could assist professionals and my future self in accessing job opportunities more efficiently. After a bit of digging, and a few coffee chats with some friends and family, I stumbled across what I believe could greatly assist many people in landing their next job.
My idea is a collaboration between LinkedIn and Clubhouse.
How would that help, you ask? Firstly, you would need to understand the purpose of both platforms and the exact need I aim to meet. LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network on the internet. It allows users to find the right job or internship, connect and strengthen professional relationships, and learn the skills they need to succeed in their careers. On the other hand, Clubhouse is a social networking app based on audio chat. Users can listen to conversations, interviews, and discussions between interesting people on various topics. It is just like tuning in to a podcast but live with an added exclusivity layer.
One thing that made recruiting and getting a job easier before the COVID-19 Pandemic was the in-person expos or career fairs. As an applicant, you could walk up to a recruiter, shake their hand and look into their eyes while you have your over-rehearsed elevator pitch. The recruiters and other employees could see your character, tell you about the job and interact with you directly as they would at work. This “live” interaction enabled people to spark connections right away before the interview process.
Nowadays, everything is a DM, and DMs are always full or empty, depending on your user type. As an applicant, reaching the recruiters of your companies of choice is difficult. Also, for the recruiters, it’s easy to come off as spam and even easier to have a LinkedIn and email inbox you dread because of multiple inquiries from applicants.
This is where my solution comes in.
LinkedIn would integrate Clubhouse rooms as a feature that users can access. This combination would create a virtual Job Expo/ Career Fair.
To help with understanding this solution, here are some user stories to frame the user needs:
1. As a recruiter on the LinkedIn platform, I would like to create a virtual space/room/booth, like on Clubhouse, that would allow me to showcase the company and meet and recruit talented job seekers.
2. As a job seeker on the LinkedIn platform, I would like easy access to a live space where I can communicate with multiple recruiters and share my elevator pitch and resume.
How the rooms would work:
- At the time of the virtual recruiting call, multiple job seekers would join the virtual room from the LinkedIn app.
- Following a combination of Clubhouse’s style of audio interaction and the interaction process of in-person career fairs, the hosting recruiters would introduce the event and themselves, then open the floor to the job seekers.
- Job seekers would get a chance to be unmuted themselves and speak and share their elevator pitches.
- As a job seeker speaks, their profile automatically pops up for the recruiters to see their credentials. Recruiters could also have the option to save the profiles for further communication if they are interested.
In summary, LinkedIn meets Clubhouse. LinkedIn can now allow companies and recruiters to host virtual expo/ career fairs directly from the platform, improving and increasing job seeker touch points. From a business perspective, besides making this a premium feature, this collaboration would promote LinkedIn and Clubhouse as their different user groups grow.